Knoxville City Directory
SCHOOLS & ACADEMIES
| University of Tennessee | Knoxville College (colored) | Tennessee School for the Deaf and Dumb |
| Knoxville Female Seminary | Mount St. Joseph Academy | St. Mary's Parochial School |
Knoxville College (colored) - Clinton road, 1 west of depot.
President - Rev. J. S. McCULLOCH
Tennessee School for Deaf and Dumb - Asylum northwest corner of Broad.
Principal - Thos. L. MOSES
Knoxville Female Seminary - 94 Union.
Principal - Miss Carrie C. LORD
Assistant - Miss Nannie DINWIDDIE
Teacher of French - Mrs. Geo. BROWNLOW
Mount St. Joseph Academy - 173 Hill. Under the auspices of Bishop of Diocese, and controlled by Sisters of St. Joseph.
St. Mary's Parochial School - Park, southwest corner Williams. Controlled by Sisters of St. Joseph.
University of Tennessee - Kingston road.
Chairman: Hon. John L. MOSES;Board of Trustees:
Robert CRAIGHEAD, Secretary and Treasurer.
Governor of the State.
Secretary of the State.
Superintendent of Public Instruction.
Executive: - J. L. MOSES, W. A. HENDERSON, C. DEADERICK, J. COMFORT, W. RULE.
Board of Control: - M. WHITE, O. P. TEMPLE, R. H. ARMSTRONG, J. PARK, R. CRAIGHEAD.
Buildings and Grounds: - F. A. R. SCOTT, J. W. GAUNT, W. K. ECKLE.
Finance: - H. L. McCLUNG, J. L. MOSES, W. RULE.
Library: - J. W. GAUNT, G. ANDREWS, S .J. McKINNEY.
Ways and Means: - E. J. SANFORD, J. W. GAUNT, J. D. COWAN.
School of Agriculture, Horticulture and Botany: - O. P. TEMPLE, W. WHITE, G. BROWN.
School of Applied Mathematics and Mechanical Philosophy - C. M. McGHEE, J. L. MOSES, J. M. BOYD.
School of Chemistry and Mineralogy - C. DEADERICK, E. J. SANFORD, J. COMFORT.
School of Natural History and Geology - J. M. BOYD, G. ANDREWS, R. H. ARMSTRONG.
Board of Visitors (appointed by the Governor)
Benjamin F. COCKRILL, Nashville
Perez DICKINSON, Knoxville;
T. B. HARWELL, M.D., Aspen Hill
J. Y. KIETH, Jackson
J. Harvey MATHES, Memphis
W. P. MORRIS, Camden;
J.B. STOKELY, Newport;
Dorsey B. THOMAS, Box Station;
H. B. YEARWOOD, Sweet Water.
Faculty and Officers:
Rodes MASSIE, A.M., D.L; chairman of the faculty;
Hunter NICHOLSON, A.M., professor of natural history and geology;
Eben ALEXANDER, B.A., professor of ancient languages and literature;
James DINWIDDIE, M.A., professor of pure mathematics;
Samuel B. CRAWFORD, M.A., professor of military science and commandant of cadets;
Rodes MASSIE, A.M., D.L., professor of English and modern languages;
John W. GLENN, A. M., professor of agriculture, horticulture and botany;
William Albert NOYES, Ph.D, professor of chemistry and mineralogy;
William Everett MOSES, adjunct professor of chemistry;
Samuel B. CRAWFORD, M.A., adjunct professor of mathematics;
Thomas Oakley DEADERICK, M.A., adjunct professor of ancient languages;
William Gibbs McADOO, M.A., instructor in English and history;
Lewis Conner CARTER, B.C.E., instructor in applied mathematics;
William Isaac THOMAS, A.B., instructor in modern languages and natural history;
John Newton BOGART, B.S., instructor in sub-collegiate classes;
Gustav Robert KNABE, instructor in vocal and instrumental music;
Hunter NICHOLSON, A.M., librarian;
Robert James CUMMINGS, farm superintendent.
[ Go to 1885 Public Schools ]
[ Return to Knox County Schools - Past & Present ]
[ Return to Norwood's Knoxville City Directory (1885) ]
[ Return to Knox County, TNGenWeb ]
HTML coding copyright 1999-2003, Rose-Anne Cunningham Bray